This adorable little dog looks naturally beautiful and her sweet personality can melt any dog lover’s heart. Unfortunately, her former owner did not think she was quite perfect enough.
Meet the Maltese mix named Violet!
Her former owner wanted the Maltese mix to become a dog she could never be – a fur with a natural violet color. When her ex-human decided to change her perfect fur, it nearly cost her life.
When Violet’s former owner realized that the dog would never have a naturally looking violet fur, she abandoned her on the street. Luckily, volunteers from Pinellas County Animal Services found the poor doggy and they immediately provided her all the medical attention she needed.
Violet was in a terrible shape when rescuers picked her up. Apparently, the botched makeover that her former owner did to her almost killed her. She was dyed purple using a chemical coloring not intended for animals, and it resulted in severe burns across her body and a swollen shut eye.
Rescuers thought the little dog would never survive…
“We gave fluids, pain meds and we gently washed as much of the chemical dye off as we could. We bandaged her up,” the shelter wrote in a post online. “Then we waited. Violet went home with our veterinarian and we waited.”
During her first night after the rescue, Violet was seen struggling to move and eat but the sweet Maltese mix was fighting hard to survive. Thankfully, she had survived the night and was seen getting better the following day. However, the full extent of her injuries that had been caused by the hair dye was making her weak as the days passed by.
“We began the arduous process of shaving off her hair to really measure the damage — [and] to our horror her skin began to slough off,” the shelter wrote. “Good thing Violet was peacefully anesthetized. It was so much worse than we initially thought — how would this little dog make it through?!”
Violet didn’t want to give up…
The treatment went well over the next three months and Violet slowly began to heal. Despite what happened to her, the little dog is still the sweetest little dog ever.
“She began to walk the halls, visiting each office requesting treats or hugs or gentle pats, always in the lead with our veterinarian in tow,” the shelter wrote. “It was clear — Violet was on the mend and she wanted everyone to know it.”
“When the final bandages came off we breathed a collective sigh of relief,” the shelter wrote. “Violet was beautiful.”
When it was clear that Violet had completely recovered, the sweet doggy was adopted by a loving family.
“Do not, under any circumstances, use hair color intended for humans on your pets,” the shelter wrote. “Chemicals in hair dye are toxic, causing a wide array of external injury to your pet — possible burns, blindness and, because an animal’s first instinct is to lick, it can cause poisoning or internal burns. Just don’t.”
SHARE this story with your friends and family!
H/T: The Dodo