11 Things You Should Never Feed Your Dog


Every dog owner knows that chocolate is bad for dogs. However, there are other food items that can be a health hazard for your furry companion. Not a lot of dog owners know about such food items, which could poison their dogs and potentially result to their death.

You might be tempted to give in to those puppy eyes staring at you as you eat your sandwich. But before you go on and give your pooch some treats, do consider the kind that you are giving as you could be feeding him or her poison.

Here are 12 things that you should never feed your dog.


Onions are toxic not only to dogs but to cats, as well. Signs of poisoning don’t even appear until a few days after consuming them. You might not know that your dog is already ill after giving him pizza that had onions. No matter what form of onion you have, whether it’s dehydrated, cooked or raw, it can be dangerous to your pet’s health.

The onion and other members of its family, which includes garlic, can cause stomach upset and damage the red blood cells.


Dogs cannot tolerate alcohol like humans do. The substance can induce vomiting and cause diarrhea in canines. Furthermore, it decreases the dog’s coordination and depresses the central nervous system, which then will lead to shaking, breathing difficulties, coma and worse, death.


Matheus Swanson/Flickr

Just like chocolates, caffeine contains the substance theobromine, which is toxic to the animal. Dogs react more to caffeine compared to people and consuming it in large quantities can poison them.


Avocados contain persin, a substance that can cause dogs to vomit or experience diarrhea.


Sweetcorn and corn on the cob actually blocks the intestines of the dog, which will lead to vomiting, constipation and serious illness.


The artificial sweetener is used to provide the sweet taste for gums, cakes and diet food items. However, in animals, xylitol prompts the release of insulin, which can then cause hypoglycemia or lowered blood sugar. Symptoms of xylitol toxicity include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination.


Milk and other milk products can cause diarrhea in dogs as their bodies have a hard time breaking down lactose.


If your dog accidentally consumes ibuprofen, he could experience symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ulceration and kidney failure. If you observe any of these symptoms in your dog, it’s best to take him to the vet.


Cooked bones

Dogs love bones but cooked ones can be dangerous for them as they are brittle. The splinter could be a choking hazard or it can puncture the digestive tract.

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts can cause tremors, depression, weakness and vomiting in dogs. Further, it reduces the dog’s ability to maintain body temperatures, which could cause them to overheat.



Grapes are said to be extremely harmful to your pooch. The symptoms of illness won’t even show up until after five days of consuming the berry. Grapes can cause the kidneys to fail. If you suspect your dog having eaten the berry, consult your vet immediately.

H/t: Hippocratic Post

[Featured Image by Pixabay]

What do you think?